Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Boston Tea Party Chest

       Last week my students discussed the Boston Tea Party.  We read from our text book, watched a short video clip, and took notes.  I also needed a prop. This tiny chest was perfect!  It is only about 2 X 3 inches. It has a little clasp and hinges on the back. 

      I cut open a tea bag and poured the loose tea into the chest.

        My 5th graders enjoy the props that I have on my desk.

                               Do you use props in your room?

      We will have a Skype field trip to the Boston Tea Party Ship and Museum in Boston. The kids all dress up in their colonial outfits for the day. We get to partake in a discussion about the fairness of the tax on tea in the Colonies.  Each student portrays a historical person from Boston at the time.   The Liberty Kids episode on the "Boston Tea Party" is shown while the 5th graders are drinking tea and munching on cookies.  

     Of course there is a story behind the little chest... During Advent, the women of our parish get together for a night of reflection, dinner, and socializing.  Each table has a different theme. My good friend Ellen, who by the way I share a birthday with, helped with our table decorations.  She made these cute little chests which had  candy treats inside.  It has been on my desk all winter.  Once in a while, at the end of a hard day, I would treat myself to a piece of candy.  I realized that it would make a prefect prop to teach about the Boston Tea Party.  I believe Ellen picked these little wooden boxes up at Michael's or JoAnn's.
     Thanks Ellen,  I can always count on you! 

Today I linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the 
 Five for Friday Weekly Linky Party.
www.doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com 


Please leave a short comment.  I really enjoy your feedback. 


Beti

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I don't usually use props in my room, but I think I should! I don't usually think of it, but I'm sure it would increase engagement and interest. I live relatively close to Boston. I think it would be neat to visit with my family. I'll be checking out their website. Have a great week.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You should check it out while in Boston.
      Beti

      Delete