Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Royal and Most Pleasant Game of Goose

The Royal and Most Pleasant 
Game of Goose


           In 5th grade we learned about life in Colonial Williamsburg.    In our journey, my students went to the Raleigh Tavern on the Duke of Glouchester Street.   Along with discussing politics, eating, drinking, and socializing were popular at these local gathering spots.    One way to socialize in Colonial times was to play board games.

          The Royal and Most Pleasant Game of Goose was introduced to my students.   I wasn't quite sure how the kids would react to a black and white piece of paper as a game.    No Ipads or computer games.    They came to realize that they could have an great time playing a simple board game rolling the dice and moving a simple marker with their classmates.

        The game is played with one die and a marker for each player.

          There are a few interesting spaces on the game board to make the game fun.   A space that no one wants to land on is the Death Space.      I could always tell when someone landed on the Death Space.      The kids would moan, yell, and laugh.   This is where the player has to go back to the beginning of the game board to space number 1.   A few spaces featuring a goose will send a player ahead.    You might also land on the Jail space where you will lose a turn.     They learned that it was all in great fun.


     The students even wanted to take the game boards home!     This game was in my TCI Social Studies Alive! America's Past teacher's manual. I cannot take credit for this game.

          I have taken this game to our school's book fair at Barnes and Noble.    Children always want to play and want their parents to watch.

      The Royal and Most Pleasant Game of Goose has become one of my favorite games.    In my minds eye, it is a very early version of Candy Land, if you know what I mean.   Give it a try with your kids.

      Please leave a comment if you have a minute.    Let me know if you could use my ideas in your class.

Beti 

1 comment:

  1. Good evening!
    I have this same game from the colonial williamsburg stations! My old masters book is much worse for the wear and is missing the instruction page that goes with Raliegh's Tavern station. I was wondering if by rare chance you might have a copy of that intruction page?
    Sorry I know it's a reach, but from one teacher to another I figured it couldn't hurt to ask :) Have a lovely evening!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete