Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Shorts and Halter Top

Shorts and Halter Top


           Everyone has old T-shirts in our closets, drawers, and on shelves.  these shirts can be favorites that are well worn.  They also can be only worn once and then stuffed to the back and not worn very often.  

            When making doll clothes I usually don't like to  to spend a lot of money for material.  When shopping I go to the remnant section first. One great buy was on the remnant rack and the sign said 50% off.    Then to the sale section, looking for the 70 or 80% off at JoAnn's.  They usually have a a nice selection, but you have to do a lot of searching.   

          I usually look through my material bin for pieces that are big enough to make a doll outfit.  Then came to my eye, the old T-shirts that were not being worn anymore.  There was a very pale lavender T-shirt with long sleeves. I know it looks  like it is light pale blue in the picture.  This halter and shorts outfit was one result of that shirt. 


                 Actually, from this one long sleeve T-shirt I made a baby doll sleeper, a long sleeve shirt for an American Girl Doll, and this halter and shorts set. There is some material left over, but I haven't decided what can be made from that scrap.   Scraps of material are so very useful in making doll clothes. You can view the sleeper and long sleeve shirt on previous posts. 

            I love the color of this T-shirt.  It is a raspberry heather color. Every year my husband and I go to the "Woodward  Dream Cruise".  We live near Detroit, the Motor City.  In August, Woodward Ave. becomes a mecca for old and classic cars. The auto makers give away t-shirts as souvenirs.  This was one of those shirts.

           

               The halter top started its life planning to be a doll skirt, but the base fabric scrap I had was a little too small for a skirt.  Once the ruffles were sewn on, and was fitted on the doll, I realized that it was WAY TOO short for a skirt. What was I going to do with these ruffles? 
 The light bulb turned on and the this halter was born. Two straps were sewn and added to the halter top and it was done. 

               These shorts were cut from the sleeves of the T-shirt.   This T-shirt that I used also was made into two other outfits.  I try to used as much of the fabric as I can.  The neck ribbing from a T-Shirt makes great bias tape to trim the sleeves on a sleeveless top or the neckline. 

             I these simple shorts and tops made from T-shirts will inspire you in making doll clothes in the future. My clothes are nothing fancy, but they will be played with for years to come. And the outfits will have a story behind them.

                 I would enjoy reading any comments you have about this post.  Feel fell to leave a comment.

          Happy Sewing! 

Beti

No comments:

Post a Comment