Sunday, November 8, 2020

Gooey Play

    
Goo 
and More Goo!

            Today I mixed together  2 T. of sugar and 1/4 cup of cornstarch.   This mixture was added to 1 cup of cold water in a small sauce pan. I found this recipe on one of Martha Stewart's blogs. ( Martha Stewart's recipe calls for 4 T. sugar, 1/2 cup of cornstarch, and 2 cups cold water).   Then sugar and cornstarch was stirred into the water heated over medium heat.    Stirring constantly while heating the mixture began to thicken.   When heated and stirred the mixture will be smooth.    This mixture will continue to thicken after it is removed from the heat.

            I stored the gooey mixture in a plastic container.  You can add food coloring to make a "finger paint" if you wish.  I did not try this.  We were thoroughly entertained with the white goo.  
        
                As you can see, this toddler used her Ernie in the goo.   Just another addition to the the tactile experience.
          
            I did let my little one spread the goo on a blue sheet of construction paper.  Prior to the activity, I used masking tape to form the outline of a snowman .  After the goo was applied to the paper, coarse salt was sprinkled on the goo to give a snowy effect.   You can see where the masking tape was removed from the paper.

     
  I'm not sure which way the paper is turned to look more like a snowman.   This did not turn out the way I had planned.    Oh well, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.   I always tell my kids that I learn something new every day.    I guess I'll have to do a little more experimenting with this goo. 


          This was a good activity for a January day or any rainy day during the spring or fall.   There are some days we could not get outside to play.    January or any winter month in Michigan can be a difficult time to get your kiddos out doors for play time.


 Enjoy the day!  I will!
     Beti

No comments:

Post a Comment