Saturday, August 15, 2020

Baby Doll Pajamas

Baby Doll Pajamas

            JoAnn Fabrics is a store that I love. I haven't been to JoAnn's in a long, long, Long, LONG time. So this week I had the chance to go. Of course I was looking for elastic, that they didn't have. I was not surprised because everyone is making face masks these days. 

        While browsing around the store I saw this darling flannel monkey print. It was so cute.  I only wanted a half a yard to make doll clothes. It was the end of the bolt so the store cutting clerk, a very pleasant young woman, said I could have the rest of the yardage for half price.  Well, it was on he clearance rack, so I got more than a yard for 88 cents! Today was my lucky day!

         So this is the soft, flannel material made into a pajama outfit. It fits a Cabbage Patch doll that my granddaughter plays with.  That's what grandmas do, we make doll clothes for our grandchildren.



          What child could resist getting into bed with this doll wearing these cute cozy flannel pajamas? 


          Here in Michigan there is a store Meijer. Meijer is where I primarily go to do my grocery shopping. Along with groceries, Meijer carries, clothing, Health and Beauty, lawn and garden, shoes, toys, etc. You get the picture. They also have an art and crafts section as well and sewing notions. So, I went to see if they carried elastic by any chance.  Yes indeed! See, today was my lucky day!

       In the sewing notions aisle Ialso found a plaid flannel "Fat Quarter" for 1$.  The red, white and blue plaid flannel would be perfect for another set of baby doll pajamas. My other granddaughter got twin baby dolls for her birthday. This would be a great pajama set for the boy doll.  A placket with three buttons was added to the front of the shirt, but it has Velcro underneath for ease of dressing the dolls. I have to say I didn't match the plaid very well. 😕 Oops! I don't think the baby doll will complain.



                   This is a Strawberry Shortcake doll from back in the 80's. She is a good model for the baby doll clothes that I'm making. She is about 14 inches tall. So outfits can be shortened for a 12 inch baby doll.

              I had enough of the flannel monkey print material to make another pajama set! Two pajamas for 88 cents! It can't get any better than that! This top is designed with a kimono front closure.

               And here is Strawberry Shortcake wearing a second set of soft and cozy flannel PJ's.  This outfit is smaller than the other pajamas that for the Cabbage Patch doll.


              Here is another flannel "Fat Quarter" that I found at Meijer. It has this dainty pattern of red and green on a cream background. It would be perfect for a night gown for a baby doll. I know it looks like a shirt in this picture, but you can see how long it is on the doll.


    ***   This is a little tip when making doll clothes. ***

       If you look at the neckline, a white edging was added.  I cut a strip of cloth for an old T-shirt and used it as bias tape because it is stretchy.  It finished off the neckline very well I think. 


          This little red bow adds a sweet touch to this simple night gown.

*****
          Here is the pattern for the pajama pants for the 12 or 14 inch baby doll. I looked at many patterns on Pinterest and came up with these. It is on a 1 inch grid if you wish to use the pattern yourself. You can make the pant legs longer or shorter for the size of the doll you are fitting.

           The pants are laid out on the fold so the are very easy to make. The front and back seams are sewn together first. Then the waist is folded over and elastic is sewn into the waistline. Next, fold the hems and stitch. Finally, sew the leg inseam to finish the pajama pants.


               Here is the pattern I came up with, for the pajama top. As you can see, the front was widened and slanted to make the kimono top.  The back is placed on the fold. After cutting the pattern pieces, see the shoulder seams first. Then finish the neckline with bias tape. The next step is to hem the sleeves. After the sleeves are hemmed, see the sleeves and side seams together. Finally, finish the front and bottom edges. Velcro is great to close the pajama top. Buttons can be added for decoration but not necessary.

If you want the front to be straight instead of the kimono top, just cut the front out as you did the back , but do not lay out on the fold. You might want to add an inch to the center front to have enough material to fold over and finish the front center edges.


                   The same pattern used for the top is used for the night gown. This time the front is placed on the fold and the opening would be in the back.   I cut the neckline about 3/4 of an inch  lower in the front than in the back. 

              As you can see, I used the same pattern and adapt it when necessary to make each outfit a little different.  I am not a pattern designed by any means, but I do enjoy making things for my grandchildren. 

            My grandfather was a tailor so my mother and all my aunts and cousins as well as myself learned to sew at a very early age. I guess sewing is in my blood.

         Please visit my other posts featuring my handmade doll clothes.   I hope you enjoy sewing as much as I do. Feel free to leave a comment.  I would enjoy your thoughts.
Beti

No comments:

Post a Comment