Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The BEST 5th Grade Class

     



The BEST! 


       On the first day of school each year I greet my new class of students outside before they come into the building.  I say, " Good morning to the best 5th grade class!"   In this way I set the expectations that they will be the Best.
      
       After we are settled in our room I tell my new darlings that the principal always gives me the best class.  I am completely serious when we  have this discussion.  I remind the students not to brag to the other two 5th grade homerooms.  We wouldn't want anyone to feel bad.    The students begin to believe that they are the best class.  I remind them often.  When we are lining up to go to another room or lunch we remind ourselves how to act.
        
     This  has worked very well over the years.  Students have moved on to the upper grades have commented on how they remember being part of the Best 5th grade class.

          We are now at a point in our country where families are quarantined in their homes.  It would be a wonderful time to remind your children and other family members  that they are the BEST Family on the street, neighborhood, city, or town. This is the time to tell others how great they are and how much you appreciate them and all they do!  It will make a positive impact on their life! 

      Give this simple idea a try. You'll be glad you did.


Come back again soon. Please leave a comment it you have the time.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Beti


4 comments:

  1. I love this! Way to start the year off on a positive note and it does really set the tone for the year. Last year I told my class "I have a secret, but you can't tell any of the other 5th grade teachers or your friends in the other classes..but you can tell your parents. I have the smartest class in the whole school..maybe in the whole county." They loved it, and when we were facing a tough test or they were struggling with some of the material I would say, "You got this!" And they would say "We know, because we are the smartest class!"
    Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's so important to start the year of on a positive note. Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah
    Education Electrification

    ReplyDelete