Saturday, June 6, 2020

Tepees

Miniature Tepees


     My 5th graders have been working on a unit of study concerning Native Americans in several different locations of the United States and North America.  The Plains Indians was a favorite of the girls in my class.  Several of my girls decided to construct a miniature tepee or two while out on the playground during recess.  They were very excited to tell me all about the structure that they built.   After lunch, I took my homeroom back out on the playground to see for ourselves.









     
    The tepees were set up along the exterior of the fence of our play structure.  If you didn't know they were there, you would just walk on by.  

     After a few days, more miniature tepees were constructed.   The girls knew that the early American people made their homes from the resources that were available.  That is exactly what my students had done. 

    We had a tepee in our classroom.  Three students are able to sit in the tepee at one time. 

 
      This would be a great at home project this summer.  Take the kids in a nature walk to find small sticks and branches. You could begin by making small towers like my girls made.  You could even move up to a child size tepee!  Have a wonderful time creating and building! 

       Enjoy your summer!

    Great job girls! 

    Please leave a comment.  I would love to hear from you.

Beti  

No comments:

Post a Comment