Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Study Chart for Jamestown, Roanoke, & Plymouth Colonies

        When we finished the chapter on the English settlement of Roanoke, Jamestown, and Plymouth Colonies I like to do a wrap up.  Before the chapter assessment I like to have the kids make some kind of  chart to compile their knowledge.  I came up with a chart which complies most of the important information introduced in the chapter.



     This is the work of one of my students.  We made the basic chart with the three headings, Roanoke, Jamestown, and Plymouth together as I modeled the directions. Then I give the students time to "talk with their neighbor"  to fill in the names of the leaders.  This strategy gives the students an opportunity to share ideas and information.  I feel this gives the more shy and timid children the opportunity to absorb more information that they haven't grasped yet. These kids can offer information to one or two peers rather than the class as a whole.  As we all know, some students aren't confident enough to share with the entire class.  As the year goes on their confidence level begins to soar by working with students with whom they comfortable.
    After each section, children were able to share what they had filled in. The shy or timid child now has an answer that they can be confident to share with the entire class.  Then we moved on to the next category( location, Native American tribes, problems,  help, ships, etc.)









         My students also like to use a strategy I call "Do you know".  I have the kids write "Do you know" statements about the information that they have learned.  Then the students find a partner and ask their partner their question.  The partner has to repeat the statement saying, "Yes, I know that ..." back to their partner.  The students switch roles and the continue.  The repetition of the statement back to a partner reinforces the information. If the student can not repeat the statement his or her partner will repeat it again for clarity.
      This concept is a take on the Whole Brain teaching concept where the teacher makes a statement and the students repeat the information.
The students become the teacher in this case.
       Here are some "Do you know" statements that one of my students made up to use in class.




      Give this one a try with your Social Studies or Science students.

      Feel free to leave comment if you find any of my strategies helpful in your classes.  I would love to hear from you.

Beti

No comments:

Post a Comment