Saturday, February 22, 2020

Bunny Peg Dolls

Hippity Hop!




       It is never too early to see some cute little 🐇 bunnies hopping around. Easter and Spring are a few weeks away.  The bunnies are everywhere! I was walking around Target and Oh My! Bunnies everywhere!


           Now is the time to make some Bunny Peg dolls to place in those Easter baskets.  I used clothes pins to make my peg dolls.  It is so much less expensive to use clothes pins than the wooden pegs from the craft store.

         To begin with, I sawed off about an inch from the bottom of each clothes pin. Some a little more, some a little less.  This way each peg doll can have its own personality and character. I know some people like to standardize and make items to exactly to the pattern.  I am more of a "free hand" crafter not using an exact pattern.  I look at an example for inspiration and go from there to design something.  Pinterest gives me such great inspiration to work from.


           After shortening the clothes pins, sanding is the next step.  I have to make sure that each peg can stand on its own.  My sawing isn't always very precise!
The head also needs to be rounded a bit.  But it doesn't have to be perfect.
Just make sure the rough edges are nice and smooth.


       The bunnies are given a good coat of white paint.  When I think about it, bunnies could be tan, light brown, gray, or even pink.  Eyes, nose, and mouth were fun to do.  They each have a cute little expression different from the next.
I suppose I could have put on whiskers, but I an not the best with fine lines.  So, no whiskers for these bunnies!



      Each got a pink tummy, tail, and little pink and white paws with sprigs of green grass. These could be different colors such as tan or gray. I gave the girl bunnies tiny flowers on their heads and the male bunnies received bow ties just for fun!  



       After all the painting was complete, they were given a coat of gloss varnish to seal the colors. For the finishing touch, small felt ears were glued on to the heads.  Some have pom pom tails glued on their backsides.

       Each bunny has its own little Altoid box with felt blanket to sleep in. Here this  peg doll bunny has a finger puppet friend to play with.  They are sharing an Altoid box with an Easter egg and carrot in case they get a bit hungry.


       Please don't forget the real meaning of Easter when making these little bunnies.  Jesus Christ died for all mankind.

Beti

No comments:

Post a Comment